Monday, February 27, 2012

Cream cheese in France

Can you imagine i spend months before i got the right cream cheese. I have been researching through the Internet trying to find cream cheese in France. Then i realise French don't eat cream cheese. And the difficult part is you can't do direct translation from English to French for cream cheese, cos you will never find it on the cheese shelves.

After researching, i found three brands which carry cream cheese, Philadelphia (US brand), Kiri (French brand) and St Moret (French). Even when i manage to find the brand and try to get it at the supermarket, i still failed. Each brand has its line of cheese products on the shelves and with different French label. I was so confused after browsing 20mins on the cheese with my hubby face turning from red to black, and i give up.


I returned home and try to google it to find the image of the correct cream cheese from Philadelphia and Kiri. While searching, i found out that St Moret cream cheese taste more salty and not so recommended for baking.


Next morning, i returned to the supermarket and got the Philadelphia and Kiri cream cheese. For Philadelphia, it is labelled as à tartiner and pack in a plastic container while Kiri is labelled as à la crème de lait and is wrapped into individual cubes in a box.

Usually most people use Philadelphia's cream cheese for baking. I was really lucky to got this in France as Philadelphia just launched them in France market last year. France has different types of cheese here, so Philadelphia actually aiming to create new concept to use it as cooking cheese for the market here.


While getting the Kiri cream cheese off the rack in Intermache yesterday, i saw this snack from Kiri. I remember reading from its website, saying that Kiri targeted audiences are actually kids, so they have this biscuits stick with cream cheese snack. I was so tempted and decided to give it a try. Thumbs up!. I love this, and its going to be in my favourite snack list.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect!I am lucky to read this article.You know what,I am struggling with searching for cream cheese in the French supermarket recently.When I asked around where I can buy cream cheese, everybody showed me a confused face and finally a cleaner pointed fromage blanc to me.Fromage blanc turned out to be more like cream,instead of cream cheese.I saw kiri in the supermarket before but I didn't know it was cream cheese.I am so excited now.I will buy it soon and luckily I can start to bake my cheese cake,finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.
      Just like you, i have hard time searching for the cream cheese in france. I google it and try to find all the translation and start asking my french friends but of no luck. And this Kiri Kirii is the best i found.

      Great news to you if you see this post, Philadelphia cream cheese is already here in France. They have launched it this year, but not all supermarket carry it. So far i managed to get it at Auchan and Monoprix. Sometimes they have special offer for big pack but you got to be early cos most of the time when i reached its all gone.

      Delete