Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Chwee Kueh 水粿


My hubby loves Chwee Kueh back in Singapore, but not really for me. I hardly eat this as i do not really like the saltiness. I'm making this today for his breakfast tomorrow morning. I suppose to make some cakes today but the weather turned cold and it make me feel so moody. therefore no mood to do any baking today. I think Chwee Kueh is a easy to cook so here it goes.

Topping
Ingredient
150g Chai Po (preserved radish)
5 cloves of garlic
3 tsp of sugar
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp seasame seed
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp water
Dash of white pepper

Method
  1. Soak the chaipo in water for 15min, rinse and drain well. Set aside
  2. Cut the garlic finely
  3. Heat the oil and stir fry the garlic till fragrant.
  4. Add in the chaipo and sesame seed. Stir fry.
  5. Add a dash of white pepper and pour in the rest of the seasoning. Stir and mix well.
  6. Reduce to low heat and cook till fragrant.
Batter
Ingredient
A
150g rice flour
4 Tbsp tapioca flour
1 Tbsp wheat starch
250ml water
B
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
360 ml water

Method
  1. Add rice flour, tapioca flour, wheat starch and water in a big bowl. Stir and mix well. Use a sieve to remove any lumps.
  2. Pour everything in B into a small pot and bring it to boil.
  3. Pour boiling B mixture into the flour mixture and stir well.
  4. Prepare a steamer and bring it to boil. Grease the mold with oil. 
  5. Pour in the mixture into the mould and steam over high heat for 25min.
  6. Remove and cool the mould. Unmould the chwee kueh.
  7. Serve with radish topping.
*You can use normal cooking oil instead of oilve oil. I usually use oilve oil for my cooking because it is more healthy and the price here is equivalent to vegetable oil.

**I do not have the mould for making chwee kueh therefore i am using my baking mould.

No comments:

Post a Comment